Saturday, September 6, 2008

Visiting relatives

As a kid and as and adult, one of my favorite things has always been visiting relatives. You hear stories about how some people either dread having to spend time with their relatives or how people just feel it's an obligation they must meet - spending time with their relatives on specific occasions and holidays. But it is something that I look forward to and something that I reflect back on. I'm always counting the weeks until I get to see my relatives again.

As a kid, I loved seeing the cousins (John, Phil, and Paul). We would play sports from dawn until dusk - only taking breaks to eat quick meals. I loved going to basketball camp at UND with cousin John. Having Cousin Todd come and visit for the weekend from Chicago. Going fishing with Uncle Jerry, Cousin Dewey, and Cousin David. Spending time at Uncle Jerry's cabin. Playing Nerts with Cousin Michelle. Seeing Grandpa (Martin) cry as we left after a week's visit. Playing Whist with Grandma and Grandpa. Playing Farkle, Uno and Shang-Hi with Oma and Opa. Going for walks with Opa collecting aluminim cans along the way.

My memories with relatives aren't about visiting exotic travel destinations or about having the newest toys to play or anything like that. It's just that I genuinely enjoyed spending time with them.

Life goes on. I've lost some of those relatives -- all of which I'll never forget.
I'll never forget Cousin Dewey helping the cousins and me tape our first ever Seeger-Kvidt show.
I'll never forget Grandma and Grandpa's tiny house. The house never felt tiny to me as a kid. I just remember the smells and tastes of the homemade donuts, lefse, lutefisk, etc. The games of croquet and Whist. Every Christmas in Twin Valley -- that was the highlight of every year being with Grandma and Grandpa and the uncles, aunts, and cousins.
I'll never forget Oma and Opa. I'm so glad Jen got to know Oma. Golfing with Opa. Listening to Oma and Opa's stories. Watching Wheel of Fortune with them.
I'll never forget Uncle Dave. He came to visit me in Waverly once or twice while I was at college. He was in town for the horse auction, and we ate at the Country Kitchen in town. What a fascinating guy to sit and talk to.

New relatives have entered my life. Of course, our three cool kids. Joel married Brooke. I hardly knew Brooke 6 years ago, although they had been dating for a couple years. But it was great having them here in Omaha. Our late-night relay race/obstacle course events -- usually a drink or two involved. Our kids are just totally in love with Grandma Hope, Opa, Joel, Brooke, and Andy. Andy continues to create great games for our kids that they always talk about.

Jen's side of the family. At first it took me a while to really feel close to this whole new side of the family.
I hadn't known them all my life, and it always takes me a while to feel comfortable with new people.

But they have definitely become relatives that I look forward to spending time with, as well. We love spending the night at Grandma and Grandpa's in Bellevue on occasional weekends. Judy, Michael, Barbara, Dennis, and Jane have also been so kind to travel all this way to Omaha from the East Coast for baptisms so that we've seen them fairly regularly, and it's just awesome to see them.

I'd also include our baptismal sponsors among our relatives. Nate, Becky, Allison, and Andrew remain life-long friends from college. Now Dayna and Bastian have joined our family by being sponsors for Claire.

I guess what I"m trying to say is -- thank you to all my relatives. You all mean the world to me. If I don't make to Australia or London or California, or Washington D.C. it would be OK. My Grandpa Martin served in WWI, but I don't think he traveled very much outside of MN/ND except for during the war -- I'll have to ask my mom about that. But he always seemed like the most genuinely, content, happy, gracious person I can ever remember. He died when he was about 15, so I don't have that many years of memories with him. But he seemed so genuinely grateful for his family, his life, and his faith in Christ. He remains my role-model today -- to keep treasuring each day of life. It's OK to cry -- he also showed me.

1 comment:

NNA said...

Hi, I found your blog post through a search for “Nerts”. It is cool to see others that know about the game. I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to let you know about playnertz.com, the site for the National Nertz Association. There is a bunch of interesting Nertz information there and you can also find out how to play Nertz online there. I hope you will check it out. Feel free to join and also let your friends and family know. Thanks