Monday, June 30, 2008

Stages of life

Stages

Elementary to middle school,
What! No more recess?
Middle school to high school,
Feeling so self-conscious.

High School to college,
Moving to a brand new town.
College life suits me fine.
I never want to move on.

Really hits home on graduation day;
My suitemates and I are all moving away.
My first teaching job at a new school.
It’s tough getting students to obey my rules.

This teaching job is at first so tough;
No wonder so many leave saying that’s enough.
Slowly getting better at this teaching thing.
My wife tells me we are expecting.

Becoming a parent is a pretty big job,
But having a daughter is just so cool.
Reading books, making her laugh is a delight
Despite wiping butts and cleaning up drool.

Now our son shares a room with his sister.
It’s fun eavesdropping on their conversation.
Playing ball tag, making lunches, doing laundry
Forget about any time for relaxation.

Our third is due near the end of summer break.
Our oldest in preschool is already five.
This stage of our life will soon pass.
Man, we are so lucky to just be alive.

I’m not yet forty, still quite young.
Many more challenging stages in store.
I’ll try and enjoy each moment to the fullest
Until it’s time to open the next door.

Step out of your life for a moment
Just reflect on all of its stages.
It’s an amazing life we all lead
A book full of memorable pages.

No comments: